Sunday, May 6, 2012

Musing about the Muse in May


I power up my laptop while sitting in bed. Six o’clock, Sunday morning. A computer thought balloon appears at the bottom of the screen. It says “Wireless Network Connection is now connected. Signal Strength: Excellent.”

I smile, remembering the interview I heard yesterday with Elizabeth Gilbert, author of “Eat, Pray, Love”. She was asked about the phenomenon of artist inspiration. She told the interviewers what many other artists and writers and musicians have said through the ages: One must be available regularly, daily is best, for the Muse to trust one as a dependable recipient.

I woke today with excited anticipation. Last night, I went to bed knowing that the weather would be beautiful, I have the whole day free, and I can work in the garden. The part I’m especially excited about is sprucing up the ragged containers in front of my home. Yesterday evening, as the light was beginning to fade, I studied the pots most in need and envisioned today’s transformation. Thinking about the juicy-colored annuals stashed on my deck since Tuesday, I can’t wait to “bibbety bobbety boo” with my magic hori-hori.

I soaked up some inspiration yesterday evening. About 6:30, after leaving a neighbor’s home a few blocks away, I strolled along some streets that I haven’t walked before. The western light angled bright and warm, the air was still and gentle. Gardens I’d never seen before beckoned me to study their charms. Two hardy palm trees, ten feet or more tall, shouted out in front of a small bungalow. Surrounding them, and oddly juxtaposed with the palms, bright gold leaves and large, dangling pink and white hearts of Dicentra ‘Gold Heart’ sang amid a sweep of rich purple barberry. Beneath one of the palms, a few rich notes of orange-red flowering quince blossoms winked beneath their green veil of newly-leaved, arching branches. But the plant that most bewitched me was Euphorbia polychroma. Its extra-large, bright yellow flowers trumpeted amid the purple mounds of barberry and heuchera and fountains of striped yellow grasses. I rarely see this particular Euphorbia.

Seattle skies were clear enough last night to view the much trumpeted, extra-large full moon. And today is, indeed, a beautiful day for gardening! I’m off to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment