Thursday, May 10, 2012

Birthday Tulips


My birthday - and it’s a glorious sunny day! Hooray!

I couple of days ago I was gazing at my little species tulips, Tulipa battalini ‘Bright Gem’. I find it enormously satisfying that the original five bulbs have multiplied into a robust cluster over the years.


Standing back and taking in the cluster as a whole, I love the way their pale apricot contrasts with the deep purple Heuchera ‘Obsidian’ and with their own strappy green leaves. But looking deep into their open cups hypnotizes me with their complex perfection.

Six pointed petals have fine, deep, orange-red whisker lines, like dry brush strokes from the center out. Six points of apricot anthers form a star around the pale apricot stigma. A small pool of soft umber in the bottom of the cup forms a soft hexagon shape and its darkness makes the pale anthers glow. At first, I see just the umber that contrasts so delightfully with the apricot. It takes a longer look before I notice the starburst of six chartreuse lines that divides the umber into triangles.
  
 
What a perfect birthday gift to have blooming in my own garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment