Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hooray, it's May!


Ran out of time on Sunday, but here’s my May Day post now:

Columnar flowering cherry in backyard
 
Yes, it’s May Day. A day for dancing around May poles and celebrating spring, fertility, youthful zest, renewal, life etc., etc.

And the sun is shining through my Rapunzel window. (My friend Joel named the window. It’s tall and narrow, with leaded glass and an arched top, the only window in the peaked second story front of the house, and it does suggest a tower window.) The sky is superbly blue at 7:30 am. It’s a perfect May Day. Except that I have to work all day on this exquisite Sunday. I’m aching to work in my garden.

My own flowering cherry trees grace my yard now. The columnar Amanogawa cherries in the backyard are so tall, they dominate the skylight view in my second-floor bathroom.

Prunus serrulata 'Amanogawa' seen through skylight
 
Out front by the street, fat, bunchy, rich pink blooms cluster thickly on the Kwanzan flowering cherries. 

Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan'
 
I am feeling a bit like Rapunzel this morning, limited to viewing spring through windows because of my retail work schedule. Mantra today: my real work is supporting people in learning to grow their own food, build community, revel in the beauty in nature and live in harmony with the Earth. Repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment