Friday, April 15, 2011

Surprising juxtapositions


Surprising juxtapositions in the garden delight me. Yesterday, I spotted sky-blue anemones dancing in front of a mustard-colored pot that sat empty and neglected in the bed all winter. Now, with the bloom of windflowers, the pot provided an unexpected color backdrop that makes the pale blue pop.
Anemone   

And in a forsaken bed between my neighbor’s driveway and my trash cans, a fragrant clump of light pink hyacinth sweetly blooms, surrounded by a forest of blackened stems of last year’s Shasta daisies. Searching for metaphor, I think first of resilient life after a forest fire. But then, letting imagination run silly, I see a band of barbarians in mold-blackened hides holding hostage a party of perfumed maidens in pale pink silk.

Captive Hyacinth
 
Hmmm… I think I need to get some fresh air - and clean up last year’s perennial remnants.

No comments:

Post a Comment