Tuesday, February 19, 2013

No place like home



1-28-2013

It's funny how often it happens that we have to get away to discover what was in our own back (or front) yard all along.

The other day I was walking along 6th Avenue in downtown Seattle when a delectable scent tickled my nose. Like a cartoon character lured by the aroma of warm pie, I nosed it out. There it was - narrow, shiny dark, evergreen leaves, hung with tiny clusters of frilly white flowers - Sarcococca or Sweet Box, beckoning from a huge concrete planter. 
Sarcococca confusa
 When I got home, I detected the scent, for the first time this season, of the one growing right beside my doorstep. I love Sarcococca for its scrumptious fragrance, and also because it reminds me that the sequence of blooming plants is like a tide that carries us out of winter. Nature's beauty and constancy connect me with a deeper, enduring reality that always soothes and refreshes my spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment