Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Winging it


I slipped out to the back garden on Sunday to take a breather from paperwork. Movement and a flash of vibrant blue on the ground in the shade under the broad Viburnum caught my eye.  About six feet from me, a Stellar’s Jay noted my presence, then hopped deeper into the shadow before winging up into the taller trees and away.

High-pitched trills and a tiny “tic, tic” caught my ear and pulled my eye to the opposite side of the garden. In the uppermost branches of my neighbor’s overbearing holly, an Anna’s hummingbird hovered then perched lightly on a twig. I’m enchanted by its green iridescence and ruby throat – a jewel with a heartbeat.

A sturdy stalk of Acanthus looks like a tower of birds all poised for takeoff.


Acanthus spinosa

The birds, the plants, even the air all seemed to be saying, “Yes, this is what really matters.” If I could just work in the garden, write and photograph, I would be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment