Friday, July 15, 2011

First Lemon Cucumber


Harvested my first lemon cucumber yesterday. It was a little smaller than I know lemon cukes can grow, but the color screamed “ripe” at me. I cut it in half and peeled one of the halves. The outermost eighth-inch or less was still a little harder than the rest, but I think if I waited longer, the center would have been too mushy and the seeds too large. The flavor was excellent cucumber!


Meanwhile, my peas grace me with abundance. I munch pea pods raw for spontaneous snacks and in salads. Or I blanch them just for seconds until bright green, but still crunchy, to bring out the sweetness. And a stir fry with a handful thrown in at the end adds such satisfying homegrown zest. To plant, nurture, harvest and eat from my garden – in these moments life is complete, at peace, perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment